Of the 100 largest cities in the United States, Orlando is ranked twelfth for being most pet friendly. Here at Clarion Inn Lake Buena Vista, we also welcome with open arms responsible pets accompanied by well-behaved humans. For many, pets are a part of the family who are automatically included in vacation plans. If you’re planning a vacation with pets in tow, we have some tips to make your planning less stressful.Traveling by Air?
- Book a direct flight whenever possible. Eliminate the possibility of your pet being left in another city where you had a layover. Let all necessary airline employees know you’re traveling with a pet.
- Get current health certification and vaccination records.This requirement must be obtained no more than 10 days prior travel. If traveling internationally, check with country officials for any additional requirements.
- Purchase an airline-approved crate.These crates are widely advertised and easy to acquire. Check the USDA or airline website for specifications. Attach owner information and pet’s name to crate.
- Provide sufficient food and water. Federal regulations require that you provide and attach to the crate signed documentation stating your pet has been fed within four hours of airport delivery. Regulations also require the provision of 24 hours of food and water unless otherwise approved by a veterinarian.
- Prepare your pet for a lengthy trip. Take them on longer car rides so they are adjusted to being in the car. Obtain appropriate shot records especially if you are staying in a hotel.
- Secure your pet. Place your pet in a well ventilated and secured crate when traveling. Use an airline approved crate so the pet has sufficient room to move. If you opt not to use a crate, ensure the pet is secured via seatbelt or harness and not hanging out the window. Never leave pets in a parked vehicle.
- Bring the necessities. Bring food, water, a bowl, leash, a waste scoop, plastic bags, medication, travel documents, and a favorite toy or pillow. Ensure occasional stops for walks.