Destination Weddings: More than just a Location
Destination weddings are gaining popularity, and with good reason. Not only do you get to tie the knot in a fairy-tale setting of your choosing, you’ll also share quality time with family and friends during your special weekend. Location is everything when it comes to destination weddings, so take some time to explore your options before asking guests to save the date. Consider places special to you as a couple. Perhaps you’ll exchange vows in the city you met or in front of Cinderella’s castle because you both love Disney. Here are a few things to keep in mind as you choose a destination, venue, and guest accommodations.
- When choosing a venue, keep in mind theme and personal style, as well as practicality. Do you want an indoor or outdoor wedding? Does the venue also have space for a reception? Are there accommodations for you and your guests nearby? Map out the location of your venue to be sure it meets your requirements.
- Consider booking a hotel as a venue. Not only will you enjoy more time with your guests, but most hotels have an on-site wedding coordinator to help you streamline planning. A hotel with such service will also likely offer perks for you and your guests such as complimentary parking, discounts on dining, and shuttle service to nearby attractions.
- If you already have a specific venue in mind, suggest an affordable hotel near local attractions and other points of interest for your guests. Destination weddings typically mean most guests will be from out of town and will need accommodations, so be considerate of costs.
- Research tourist patterns before setting a date. In Orlando, high season is during the summer months, with peaks during Spring Break and Winter Break. You’re likely to receive better rates if you book during the shoulder seasons, as well as enjoy milder temperatures and a lower chance of rain.
- Speaking of rain, be mindful of the general weather when choosing your attire, especially if you will be outdoors. Avoid heavy fabrics in the summer heat and opt for lightweight lace and breathable fabrics instead.
- If possible, plan a visit or two to your destination well in advance of the ceremony. You’ll be able to get a better feel for the space, as well as meet with your wedding planner, coordinator, and local vendors.
- Create a wedding website to keep your guests in the know. A variety of free website templates are readily available online, so all you need to do is add details such as where to go, how to get there, what to pack, hotel information, and suggestions on what to do in the area. A website is also a great way to keep your guests informed of any updates or last minute changes.
Clarion Inn Lake Buena Vista provides both indoor and outdoor event space with a spacious ballroom and a lakeside pavilion. Located just minutes from Walt Disney World, designer shopping, and delicious restaurants, you and your guests will have no shortage of fun. Begin planning your wedding weekend today by calling (407) 996-7344 or 1 (800) 506-7300.