Walt Disney World®
The Walt Disney World® Resort is truly a world unto itself.
Spanning 40 square miles in Central Florida, the Walt Disney World® Resort is filled with everything from the magic and fantasy of the Magic Kingdom®, globetrotting and space exploration at Epcot®, photo safaris and Himalayan Mountain adventures at Disney’s Animal Kingdom®, and the lights-camera action excitement of show business at Disney’s Hollywood Studios®. At the Walt Disney World® Resort, guests can have recreational adventures on sparkling blue lakes or cheer for their favorite team at a state-of-the-art sports campus. They can shop ’til they drop or dine at any one of a number of world-class restaurants.
In the mid-1960s as the Walt Disney World® Resort was being planned, Walt Disney’s dream was to build a family resort destination like no other. That dream became a reality when the Magic Kingdom® opened in 1971. Since then, the Walt Disney World® Resort has become the ultimate vacation kingdom for guests and fans from around the world. Today it includes:
Walt Disney World® Resort
- Opening Date: October 1, 1971
- Location: Walt Disney World® Resort is located in Lake Buena Vista, FL, just 30 minutes from the Orlando International Airport
- Land Area: More than 25,000 acres, or about 40 square miles (approximately the size of San Francisco, or twice the size of Manhattan)
- Theme Parks: 4
Magic Kingdom® Park
- Opened: October 1, 1971
- Disney’s first theme park in Florida has seven themed lands with dozens of attractions built around wonder, fantasy, and fun: Main Street, U.S.A. area; Adventureland® area; Frontierland® area; Liberty Square; Fantasyland® area; Tomorrowland®; and Mickey’s Toontown® Fair.
- Attraction Highlights: Mickey’s PhilharMagic®, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad®, Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin®, Pirates of the Caribbean®, The Haunted Mansion®, Jungle Cruise®, Peter Pan’s Flight®, Space Mountain®, and Splash Mountain®.
- Opened: October 1, 1982
- Touch the future and travel the world at Epcot®. This park comprises an amazing array of attractions, shows, interactive presentations, live performances, and architectural wonders. Guests are immersed in a world of technological accomplishments and international cultural achievements.
- Attraction Highlights: Mission: SPACE®, Test Track®, Captain EO starring Michael Jackson, Soarin’ , and Turtle Talk with Crush Innoventions®.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios™
- Opened: May 1, 1989
- Guests are immersed in the glamour of show business 365 days a year with thrilling attractions, incredible Broadway-style shows, world-class entertainment, and interactive film, television, and radio production facilities.
- Attraction Highlights: Toy Story Midway Mania! Inspired by Disney-Pixar’s Toy Story® films; Lights, Motors, Action!™ Extreme Stunt Show; Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster® Starring Aerosmith MuppetVision 3-D™ 2010 Muppets Holding Company, LLC; Star Tours© Disney/Lucasfilm, Inc; The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™*; Voyage of the Little Mermaid; and Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!© Disney/Lucasfilm, Inc.
(*Inspired by The Twilight Zone® a registered trademark of CBS, Inc. All rights reserved.)
Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Theme Park
- Opened: April 22, 1998
- Take a magical journey through a world of exotic animals, where the lion is mighty and imagination is king at the fourth and newest Walt Disney World® theme park.
- Attraction Highlights: Finding Nemo – The Musical inspired by Disney-Pixar’s Finding Nemo, Expedition Everest™ – Legend of the Forbidden Mountain, DINOSAUR, Kali River Rapids®, Kilimanjaro Safaris® Primeval Whirl®, “Festival of the Lion King”, and “It’s Tough to Be a Bug!®”
- Disney’s Blizzard Beach Water Park
- Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park
- Disney Springs™ is a 120-acre entertainment, dining, and shopping complex at the Walt Disney World® Resort. A Disney shopper’s paradise, Disney Springs™ features diverse shops such as the World of Disney® store, LEGO® Imagination Center, Art of Disney®, and Once Upon a Toy. Unique entertainment is also available at the La Nouba™ by Cirque du Soleil® theatre, and DisneyQuest® indoor interactive theme park.
ESPN Wide World of Sports
- ESPN Wide World of Sports is a 220-acre, state-of-the-art campus designed to accommodate professional and amateur sports training, competition, and vacation fitness activities, with facilities for more than 30 individual and team sports ranging from lacrosse to basketball to roller hockey. The complex includes a 9,500-seat baseball park and a 5,000-seat fieldhouse. ESPN Wide World of Sports is also the official training home of the Atlanta Braves and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
All artwork © Walt Disney World